I'm 27 today! December birthdays are pretty much the best. The whole world is already decorated in twinkle lights for someone else's birthday at the end of the month (ahem), so what's the harm in pretending it's all for you for a day? 26 has been pretty great, and I think I'm going to like 27 just as much. Here's a list, off the top of my head and in no particular order, of 27 things that make me oh so happy lately:
1. The fact that my parents rarely miss a phone call and are always game to talk about anything.
2. If Joel is home before I get home from work, he lights my favorite candles.
3. Chloe. Her snores, and how she prefers to lay on her back and let it all hang out. Her belly is SO FUZZY!
4. Candy Cane Joe Joe's from Trader Joe's. We go through 2 boxes at a time in this house. And by "we", I mean "I".
5. These sheets. If you're going to spend (or aim valiantly for, in my case) 8 hours in bed every night, good sheets are worth it.
6. Taking the Metro to work. Starting the day off with Real Simple instead of a traffic jam just makes more sense.
7. Christmas! I love everything about it. The reason for it, the food, music, travel...all of it!
8. "Tall soy chai". It only takes 3 syllables to make anything better.
9. Bubble baths. These bubbles are my favorite, and the tubs in this new apartment are extra deep. Score!
10. A good book. I'm binging lately on Susanna Kearsley.
11. Stretching out the kinks after a long day.
12. Balsam candles.
13. My rain boots. They always make me feel indestructible.
14. I have a hair appointment on Wednesday. Hallelujah. No one said this list was going to be profound.
15. Wandering around in a big city.
16. Being a Marine wife. Well, Joel's Marine wife. There's no way I could do this with anyone else. I'm constantly amazed by the people I meet.
17. Living in a beautiful area that is so full of history.
18. Living near airports with direct flights to California.
19. J.Crew sales. I love stalking the things I like until they're (somewhat) more affordable.
20. Listening to ballet music at work and picturing the choreography while I navigate spreadsheets.
21. Being near water. Preferably a beach. Especially those of the southern California variety.
22. How my Oma always answers the phone. "Hello, my Eri!"
23. Girlfriends in all corners of the country who are always just a text/phone call/email away.
24. Snail mail
25. Lists, especially those in my notebook that is strictly for things not work related.
26. Living with Joel. When will it stop being so awesome? Never is the right answer.
27. Twinkle lights!